Dr. Christoph Born
Attorney at law / Partner, LL.M., University of Amsterdam
+ 41 44 225 15 25
download CV as PDF
Christoph Born advises and represents Swiss and international clients in the areas of business, corporate and contract law as well as copyright and trademark law. In particular, he advises small and medium-sized enterprises active in the industrial and services sectors on contract law issues (including the law governing mandates and employment contracts) and represents such clients in court proceedings. Christoph Born has many years' experience in the area of media law and advises both private individuals and companies on issues relating to the protection of personality rights and unfair competition. In these areas, he represents clients in civil and penal proceedings. Finally, Christoph Born also advises private individuals in the area of inheritance law.
Before working as an independent attorney-at-law in Zurich, Christoph Born gained valuable experience as an in-house counsel with a Swiss Bank and a media company. Apart from his work, Christoph Born is a lecturer with the MAZ Die Schweizer Journalistenschule (Swiss School of Journalism), Department of Communication, and president of the audit committee of the Swiss municipality of Zumikon.
Areas of practice
Contract law (in particular the law governing mandates, agency and contracts for works and services, labor law), corporate and trade law, unfair competition, media law, copyright law, trademark law, inheritance law.
- Since 2003: Partner with Wenner & Uhlmann Attorneys-at-law (previously Wenner Stierli & Born), Zurich
- 1992 - 2003: Partner with Bratschi Emch & Partner, Zurich
- 1988 - 1992: In-house counsel with Jean Frey Ltd and Curti Medien Gruppe (Media Group)
- 1984 - 1988: In-house counsel with Schweizerische Volksbank, Zurich
- 1980 - 1984: Associate with Kopp & Vetsch Attorneys-at-law, Zurich
- 1979 - 1980: Clerk with a court of first instance, the cantonal supreme court, the Department of Police and a notary public in the canton of Solothurn, Switzerland
- 2002: LL.M., University of Amsterdam Law School
- 1984: Dr. iur., University of Berne (PhD equivalent)
- 1980: Admission to the bar (all Swiss courts)
- 1978: lic. iur., University of Berne (Master equivalent)
Recent experience (selection)
- Advising and representing the Swiss subsidiary of an international manufacturer of chemical products in a conflict including labor law and unfair competition issues
- Representing a foreign company in a state court litigation relating to the violation of copyrights
- Advising a company active in the communications industry on contract and labor law issues
- Advising and representing a creditor in insolvency proceedings
- Continuous advice for the editorial team of a weekly newspaper on media law issues
- Zurich (ZAV) and Swiss (SAV) Bar Association
- Member of the professional group "Media Law" of the Zurich Bar Association
- Member of the professional group "Media Law" of the Association of Swiss Media
- Member of the Association of Publishing House Counsels (Germany, Austria, Switzerland)
- Member of the Swiss Association for Communications Law
- Member of "INGRES Institut für Gewerblichen Rechtsschutz" (Institute for industrial property rights)
- Member of „ks/cs“ Communication Switzerland
- Born Christoph, Risikofaktor Art. 292 StGB (Veröffentlichung amtlicher geheimer Verhandlungen), in: Newsletter Medialex 6/16
- Born Christoph, Öffentlichkeitsgesetz: Abschied von den Gebühren für Medienschaffende, in: Medialex 3/13, S. 105 f.
- Born Christoph, UWG versus Medien, in: Medialex 3/10, S. 134 ff.
- Born Christoph, Berufsethische Normen im Wirtschaftsjournalismus, in: Medialex 2/05, S. 73 ff.
- Born Christoph, Wann haften Medienschaffende für die Wiedergabe widerrechtlicher Äusserungen Dritter? in: Medialex 1/01, S. 13 ff.
- Born Christoph,Strafbarkeit von Redaktionsmitgliedern: Die Bedeutung der pressemässig unbedingt erforderlichen Mitwirkung, in: Medialex 4/98, S. 240 ff.
- Born Christoph, Strenger Massstab für Medienschaffende. Die Konsequenzen des „Kassensturz-Urteils“, in: Neue Zürcher Zeitung, 16. April 1998, S. 17
- Born Christoph, Schafft den Durchschnittsleser ab!, in: sic! 5/1998, S. 517 ff.
- Born Christoph, Freie Rundfunkmitarbeiter - Rechtliche Probleme ihrer Stellung im Spannungsverhältnis zwischen Rundfunkrecht und Arbeitsrecht, Dissertation 1987